The Truth about Mold
Mold spores are everywhere in our environment and can enter homes easily. Most types of mold grow quickly if they have a water source, an organic food source, and temperatures between 60 and 86 Fahrenheit. In South Alabama, mold grows especially easily in our warm, humid climate.
An Institute of Medicine study found excessive dampness indoors is a public health problem by encouraging growth of molds, dust mites, and other organisms.
Control Moisture and Reduce Mold
- Correct any water leaks or standing water.
- Remove standing water under cooling coils or air handling units.
- Replace washing machine hoses with steel mesh lines.
- Move large objects away from the walls to provide good air circulation.
- Use exhaust fans in bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms.
- Leave AC unit on when away from home